Friday was our daughter’s first day at daycare and overall, I think it went well. They told me she was smart, friendly, kind and fearless… but they had a bit of a hard time with nap time… This is what I thought would happen:
- Wake her up at 6:00am
- Give her a bottle
- Leave the house at 6:30am
- Get to daycare for 7:00am
- No morning nap (she normally has a 1.5 hour nap in the morning at home, but didn’t think she would do it at daycare)
- Not fall asleep for her new “regular” nap time (was hoping that she would though)
- Pick up during nap time
- She woke up at 5:55am
- I gave her a bottle
- We left the house at 6:30am
- Got her to daycare by 7:00am
- No morning nap (she cried a little, but was easily distracted with a toy)
- Did not fall asleep for her new “regular” nap time
- Picked her up during nap time (I only did this because I had the day off, next week will be a different story)
Nap time I think is going to be the biggest obstacle for us to overcome or I should say for the daycare provider to overcome. Right now, this is our routine for nap.
Room set up:
- Room: Blackout blinds
- Music: iPhone app (slow waves)
- Lighting: Battery operated candle
- Crib: only a fitted crib sheet, no blankets
- Lovey: Curious George
- Curious George is in the crib
- Sit in rocking chair with her and feed her milk in a bottle
- Burp her towards me
- Put her down in crib with Curious George
- Leave room while she is awake
I have no idea what the routine is at daycare, but I’m pretty confident that they probably don’t rock her in a rocking chair with a bottle before her nap. At daycare, our daughter will be sleeping on a cot and not in a crib and the blinds are down in the room, but they aren’t blackout blinds.
Does anyone have any advice on how I can make this transition easier for my daughter? I would really like her to nap at her daycare with the other kids. I don’t want her to get any special treatment, but I would like to make this easier on everyone. Any advice?
On a side note, our daughter was sleep trained at 6.5 months. We used the Sleepeasy Solution. It took us a few weeks to get it right (she’s a tough cookie), but it now works wonderfully for us. If you are thinking about sleep training and need a buddy to help you get through it (it’s not easy), please feel free to keep in touch with me. I’d be happy to be your sleep training buddy.