Hi, I’m Jenny and I love my coconut oil.
February 2014, I discovered the benefits of coconut oil. I know. I’m a little late. Even though I haven’t tried all the great things that you can use coconut oil for, I am slowly making my way down THE LIST.
What are the health benefits of coconut oil?
Studies have show that intake of coconut oil can help our bodies mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illness. Even more, it also can help to fight off yeast, fungus and candida.
Coconut oil can also positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood-sugar control. People who take coconut oil also tend to have improvements in how they handle blood sugar since coconut can help improve insulin use within the body. Coconut oil can boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy and endurance. It increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins. – Dr. Oz
I love this list of 101 uses for coconut oil from Wellness Mama. I refer to it quite often to look up new ways to use my favourite oil.
From her list, here are a few ways that I have used (and continue to use) coconut oil for:
- As a cooking oil
- On the skin as basic lotion
- Eye make up remover
- To help increase sun tolerance and avoid burning
- A natural SPF 4
- Nighttime facial cream
- Sugar shower scrub (equal parts sugar and oil)
- Lip gloss
- help skin heal faster after injury or infection
- Help sooth eczema
- Shaving cream
- Reduce itch of mosquito bites
- Stop cradle cap
Here are a few ways that I want to try to use coconut oil for soon:
- In homemade lotion bars
- Diaper cream
- Massage oil
- De-frizz for hair
- Intensive natural conditioner (Rub into dry hair, put a shower cap on and leave on overnight)
- Chocolate coconut clusters
- Rub coconut oil on the inside of your nose to help alleviate allergy symptoms
- Blend a tablespoon into hot tea to help speed recovery from cold or flu
- Mix with salt to remove dry skin on feet
- A tablespoon mix into tea to sooth a sore throat
Do you use coconut oil? What do you use it for?